David Fishel completed a four year term as Chair of Brisbane Writers Festival in 2015, one of Australia’s leading festivals of writing and ideas. He has been Chair of Circa/ Rock n Roll Circus, and Chair of Creative Enterprise Australia, the entity responsible for operating QUT’s Creative Industries Enterprise Centre and for forging links between the University and the creative industries sector, and a Council member of QUT.
David is the Founder-Director of BoardConnect Ltd, an agency focused on enhancing standards of governance in the non-profit sector. Through BoardConnect, David has planned board development workshops and board audits for hundreds of arts, museums and not for profit organisations. He is the author of The Book of the Board, published by Federation Press (third edition 2014) and Boards That Work by the Directory of Social Change in the UK.
David has given presentations at a number of conferences, including:
- Presenting the results of a survey about most effective management arrangement for a contemporary performing arts centre at the 2014 APACA (Australasia Performing Arts Centre Association, now Performing Arts Connections Australia) Conference in Hobart. Click here to read a version of David’s address and here to read the survey analysis that informed the paper (2014)
- A presentation in Manchester (UK) at the Creative Europe in a Time of Austerity Conference on topics including entrepreneurship, how are arts organisations exploring new income streams, new financing mechanisms for the arts, and what that means for the board and CEO. Click here to view the summary paper and presentation (2013)
- The Keynote at the OISTAT Summit Forum on the New Era of Theatre in Taiwan on the topic ‘Theatre Management for the Non-Theatre Specialist’, commenting on the skills required to operate theatre venues successfully in the context of Taiwan’s recent investments in theatre infrastructure (2011)
- In Hong Kong, the keynote at the Launch of the Guide to Corporate Governance for Subvented Organisations Publication – a guide intended to assist board members and senior executives by setting out principles and best practices relating to corporate governance (2010)
- Delivering a paper on trends in arts-business sector partnerships to the inaugural Cultural Leadership Summit of the Hong Kong Arts Administrators’ Association (2010)